Tuesday, March 28, 2017

19 and 20 March 2017 – Quito (Ecuador)

The road to Quito (altitude 2,280 metres/9,250 feet) and the capital of Ecuador.seemed endless with twists and turns every few metres, mud slides, (one major one in Quito itself necessitating a huge detour round the city) and to beat them all the truck drove off (only a little distance) leaving me behind at a petrol station. The person who was counting the number on board after stopping for any reason has been demoted! He’s now in-charge of the rubbish bins.

I went up to the local hospital in the afternoon to have my back looked at and after hitting me a few time where I was sore the doctor decided that there was nothing broken but that I was only badly bruised. A dose of tablets to take and no charge for the hospital visit. An hour later I was on  my way back to the Hotel Fuente De Piedra. We had been told to be careful where we went in Quito (and all of Columbia) especially after dark but in the area of the hotel there were numerous police and security people all the time so it was relatively safe to be about most of the time. I think that most care should be taken in the Old Town in the evenings; we were in an up-market part of the New Town where security was stepped up for residents and tourists.

The next day four of us decided to go on the free walking tour of the Old City, one we left half way through because the guide spent too much time talking about the politics of the country, forcing it down my throat I thought, when I wanted to know about the city not his political views.


It was a good day to do the walking tour as it was the day the changing of the guard at the Presidential Palace was to happen with the President there at the same time. The guide told us to behave while the ceremony was to take place and respect their President, flag and people (I would have anyway). There were a lot of people there, all in a good mood and quite happy for me to go to the front and take photos. Even the policeman nearest me smiled and moved out of the way to give me a better look at what was going on.

Marching In

The President of Ecuador to the left of the lady in the stripped jacket




The main part of the band


The band at the memorial



The mounted guardsmen
Shortly after this and when the politics became too much the four of us went off by ourselves to look at the Convent and Basilica.

Views of the Basilica


 





The nave

The clock tower

The roof from the clock tower
The nave




Fantastic stained glass windows














Other scenes of Quito











Preparing vegetables for sale

Only two for $5

Policeman

Oranges for sale

Reels of cotton for sale

Have baby, will still work.

Comparing sales

No comments:

Post a Comment